Sunday, December 27, 2009

2009 Harvest

Our blog has been unchanged since our backyard harvest began in early June. It seemed like our yields were much larger this year than last year, but I had no hard data to compare it to. So I decided that it might be fun to start collecting data on our harvest each year. Here are the results of our 2009 harvest (excluding items directly consumed and items given away to others).



It is interesting to note that the primary factors varying the cost of each item included (1) the size of the jar I used--if I used a smaller jar I had to buy more lids, (2) the type of pectin required by the product--liquid pectin in most jellies is more expensive than powdered pectin, and the amount of sugar required--making the jams and jellies significantly more expensive than the other products.

1 comments:

Carolyn Howell said...

It's really fun to see another post here. Thanks. And thank you for the currant jelly and strawberry jam. Yum! xoxo