The previous owners of our home advertised the yard as "edible." At first we were thinking Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Note quite, but close. You'll see from the map that almost everywhere you look there is a nice "healthy snack" to eat.
The Almonds and Asian Pears aren't exactly right for the Utah climate, but they seem to do pretty well anyway.
I've always loved growing and eating a garden. I remember as a child always helping dad plant the garden in the spring. He usually had me place the seeds and step on the dirt after the seeds were covered. Its a tribute to dad that all of his kids plant a garden each year.
I admit that the our new yard has been more work than I anticipated, but Emeline is a great help and waters the vegetable garden every morning while I work.
Thursday, July 31, 2008
Our Edible Yard
Posted by Tom and Shalaun at 10:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Wow! What a yard. I know where to come when I'm hungry! I love the diagrams and labels too! Have fun harvesting!
Again shalaun you amaze me. Your garden looks AWESOME. It may seem like a lot of work but it is worth it!
We counted 5 pears of fruit trees in your diagram but could find all 10.
Tell Emeline to be careful watering the "current" bush :)
Great stuff! xoxo
What a fun post! We'll eat some of your stuff if you want. You'll need our other dehydrator.
You guys are inspiring me. Good job! We know who's house we're going to when the world blows up (with all those veggies and food storage)!
I would love to live somewhere long enough to plant a garden but I would have no idea where to start. I'll likely be calling you for advice. Awesome!
ooh, I'm so jealous. Our first apt in Idaho had a huge backyard and we did a big garden for the first time ever. It was such a fun experience but I haven't been able to do one again yet so when I do and I've forgotten all that I learned, I'll be calling you!
P.s. coming to AZ anytime soon?
P.S.S. any news on the high school reunion?
Post a Comment