Last week was Tom and my fifth anniversary. Hooray!
Humor me, while I tell you how I met Tom.
I was planning on going to BYU. I had scholarships and housing all lined up. Every time I prayed about it, though, I had the most awful feeling about going there. Can that be possible!? Somehow I canceled my plans and decided to go with my second choice, the U of U.
I approached college hoping to get a good education (one that would make me some money), to play my clarinet in the orchestra, and to get married. As my undergraduate degree was coming to a close I knew that I had done well in school and played my clarinet in some wonderful groups. An anvil weighed on me, though, as I realized that I wasn't one day closer to getting married than I was the day I set foot on campus.
My mother would often ask my brother Trevor, "Isn't there anyone at the U for your sister?" To which Trevor would reply, "I can't think of anyone." I couldn't think of anyone either. At least not anyone who would think of me back!
Trevor and I registered for our last semester of classes, happy to be taking one together. It was about this time that mother again asked Trevor, "Isn't there anyone at the U for your sister?" For the first time Trevor hesitated and instead said, "Well...maybe one." Trevor had just finished a horrible writing class in which he commiserated with a dark-haired guy in his group. That guy seemed to have his head screwed on straight. But how would they ever meet?
The first day of our last semester, I went to our management class. I found Trevor in the room. Good. He had saved a spot for me. I wonder who that handsome dark-haired guy was next to him who was NOT wearing a wedding ring. Guaranteed he had a girlfriend. For some reason knowing that Tom had a girlfriend made it a lot easier to get to know him over the course of the semester.
As it turned out, I was not 28 (Tom thought I was older than Trevor), and Tom did not have a girlfriend. Tom's gentle humor, intelligent conversation, and dashing looks won me over that summer and I agreed to take a chance on marrying him.
Five years later, I still think it was a good decision. One of the best I've made.
Monday, December 15, 2008
Fifth Anniversary
Posted by Tom and Shalaun at 4:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
How amazing! What our Heavenly Father knows, if only we could trust him all the time. Good for you for being so intune with the spirit. Take care and thanks for sharing. Alena
Happy Anniversary! I'm so glad you two got married, you really are the perfect match for Tom. Not to mention that I'm so glad you're in the family!
So fun to hear the story from you perspective!
congratulations! happy fifth!
Racy photo, Shan! Just kidding! Congratulations!
We loved reading your impressions. You and Tom are both included on our short list of favorite human beings. May you always be grateful for each other! Congrats on 5. xoxo
Congrats! Cale and I just celebrated our 6th year anniversary! I can't believe how much time has flown by. Love the how you met story. I've never heard it. Wish I knew him better and could have come to the wedding! He seems perfect for you though! Good catch!
All I can say after reading your love story is "Ohhnnnh." and "You made me cry. I think I am just happy that you joined our small circle of friends. We liked Tom as our 5th wheel, but we really like having you as a pair and what fun we have when we get together each month. Aren't you glad we can receive inspiration when we really need it?
Post a Comment